VMWare has release KB Article which states ESXi 5.x host fails with a purple diagnostic screen (PSOD)
This is a known issue affecting ESXi 5.0, 5.1, and 5.5 hosts and virtual machines using the E1000 and E1000e virtual network adapters. For more information about available network interface types, see Choosing a network adapter for your virtual machine (1001805).
This issue is resolved in:
- ESXi 5.5 Update 1, available at VMware Downloads.
- For more information, see VMware ESXi 5.5, Patch ESXi550-Update01: ESXi 5.5 Complete Update 1 (2065832).
- ESXi 5.1 Update 2, available at VMware Downloads.
- For more information, see VMware ESXi 5.1, Patch ESXi510-Update02: ESXi 5.1 Complete Update 2 (2062314).
- ESXi 5.0 Patch ESXi500-201401001, available at VMware Downloads.
- For more information, see VMware ESXi 5.0, Patch Release ESXi500-201401001 (2065814).